Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Gamecocks! 2010 National Champs!

June 29, 2010- It was the bottom of the ninth inning in the College World Series. With the score tied, the Gamecocks had three batters ready to be the hero that would put USC on top to win our first National Championship in baseball. Everyone in the crowd was on the edge of their seats. People stood with their cameras ready. Every pitch, no matter the outcome saw hundreds of flashes going off, just hoping it would capture the game- winning hit, run or walk off home run. The tension in the air at the Rosenblatt Stadium in Omaha, NE was so thick one could cut it with a knife. I sat in my parents room practically holding my breath waiting to say those magic words. We Won!

Just as soon as the three batters came up to bat, all three were retired. Awwww! All that anticipation and we had to go to extra innings. While attending USC, I think I might have gone to two baseball games. I knew one baseball player by name and was friendly with and maybe ran into or attended one baseball party. lol I have always known of the success of the baseball program and I had mad respect. I just didn't hang out with any of those guys. Its cool. We were all Gamecocks.

So 10th inning comes. Gamecock nation is all holding their breath, wondering if we can contain the Bruins. I was so nervous I would always leave the room when they were up to bat. so I couldn't tell ya if they got on base or not. Bottom of the 10th comes... same result. The 11th inning arrives. I'm like, how much longer can this go on? The Bruins are unable to score and just like that, USC has another opportunity. Their pitcher looked tired and who wouldn't be? With that we were able to take advantage and get on base. With the help of a walk, Sac- bunt, and an error on the catchers part, we advance our runner to third. With one out, all we need is a base hit. I'm like this is sooo happening. As it would happen, #5, the best number in the universe, occupied by Whit Merrifield was next at bat. As soon as I heard the ball come off the bat, I knew that was it. I screamed a bit and said, " OMG, we won... we won." His single to right field enabled Scott Wingo to score and that was that. The University of South Carolina became the 2010 National Champions. Only the second title for our school and the first for baseball.

So many times we have been close. But now it is legit. Congrats to all the guys, Jackie Bailey Jr for earning Most Outstanding Player, and Coach Tanner. Stand up Gamecock Nation! We are so Proud.


















The Garnet Way



No comments:

Post a Comment