Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Chitown Get Down: Birthday Adventure

Happy Birthday to me indeed! This year I wanted to actually do something on my birthday. Previous years have been horrible days. Lets remenise. My 23rd birthday I saw th Reaping with some friends, you remember that movie with Hilary Swank about a possessed girl. It was cool, but I also got in a big fallout with my best friend. So somber! My 24th birthday was spent in a German hospital room recovering from rotator cuff surgery. Yeah I try to forget. Not to mention my grandfather was laid to rest on that day. Thousands of miles away from my family. So very sad. My 25th birthday I spent in the back of a team bus travelling for about 15 hours back home from a game. They sang happy birthday to me. My roommates gave me some pretty rad gifts though. Thanks Amanda & Erin. Oh and my 26th. Yes, I was stuck in Finestrat, Spain. Broke with no money. It was a holiday there so everything was closed. FUN!

Yeah so I was indeed due for a spectacular birthday. And I did not disappoint myself. :)

I found out that two of my favorite artist, Melanie Fiona & Marsha Ambrosius, were coming to Chicago, like the best city ever! How could I not go. Chitown is about 3 hours away, the tickets were cheap. Must do! I convinced my cousin Tiff to come along and we headed to the House of Blues in the Chi.



I was conflicted that day because Butler was playing in the NCAA tournament for a chance to go to the final game for the second year in a row. I threw on a Butler shirt on the way there to show my support. The game was taking place right as we were getting ready to head downtown Chicago. :( Thank God for smart phones.

Got to the venue and gave up the car to the valet. That was something us Indy folks are really not accoustomed to, but is a must in Chicago. Line wasnt too bad. Towering over everyone in line ofcourse in my heels. Sorry had to wear them because they matched my outfit. The House of Blues was not bad at all. Its a very intimate setting and you feel very close to the performer. BUT!!!! Since I waited so long to buy tickets, we had to settle for the balcony. Which still was good seat except for one big blind spot. But I wasn't trippin. Still have a good time.

First up was Melanie and that girl can sang. Always a been a big fan of hers since I ran across her page on youtube. And who doesnt love the song... It Kills Me. I love that she performs with a live band almost everytime I see her.


Melanie Fiona



Then came Marsha. You guys probably know her as being one half of the group Floetry and they sang the song Getting Late. My friend Lexi actually got me into their music. She has a very distinct and unique voice I think. Her new album is Late Nights & Early Mornings. Definitely played out on my iTunes. May I add that ole girl was wearing that dress and pumps too. As she was closing her set with Tear, one of my favorites, we all started to exit the building. Low and behold the curtains opened back up and she sang for 30 minutes longer. So super stoked, I think I started to cry because I absolutely love that song. By this time I had moved downstairs and had mixed in with the bottom level folks.







Marsha Ambrosius




Had an amazing time. So happy I went. That city just makes me feel grown and sexy for some reason. The Sears Tower (What is Willis?). Michigan Ave, the hustle and bustle of downtown, Soldier Stadium, Derrick Rose ;) Lake Michigan. I honestly feel like a country girl coming to the city for the first time. I remember coming here as a child with my family and visiting all the musuems and planetarium. Ooh ooh Ooh and lets not forget Chicago hotdogs. Being the foodie that I am, we had to make a stop at Portillos. Hmm Hmm Hmm! Love me some Chicago Hotdogs. Well we actually went there twice. No worries, I will hit up Harolds next time.








On the way out that Sunday, my cousin wanted to make a stop at Garrett's popcorn. I had never heard of it, but supposedly it is the best popcorn that was ever created. I didnt know how good it was until we arrived and there was a line all the way outside the door and down the street. Waited there for about 35 minutes. Yes, that long! The verdict is.... YES, its Great! I recommend the caramel and cheese mix. DELISH!









Overall, I would pick up everything and move to Chicago in a second with the right circumstances. Great sports city. Great Food city. Great monuments! Awesome volleyball there as well. Okay it might be expensive, but since when am I not a big spender. Shopping is my hobby. My ultimate wish is for the US to finally get a professional volleyball league and yours truly just happens to be on the team located in Chicago. Oh the Dreams!









More pics check out my album.


No comments:

Post a Comment