Monday, January 11, 2010

Starting Off With a Bang, but at what cost?

First and foremost let me start off by saying that this blog is my way of sharing my adventures of volleyball in different countries and expressing my feelings. I try to be fair and impartial with my entries. And I try to keep it positive, without complaining. I do not know if that is possible anymore. With the new year, came a new goal for me as a serious athlete. It also brought a new incentive from my club that I am not too happy about. It can be simply paraphrased as Win or Dont get Paid! Talk about negative reinforcement, but is this the way to inspire a team. Is this the way to run a business? I know neither is going to work for me. "Im sorry I thought I was a professional athlete?"


This past saturday Team Finestrat faced off against the ever so powerful CAV Murcia. As you might recall, the first time we played, the results were not so positive on our side. My coach did not hesitate to tell me personally that I played really badly. Which was right. It was not a strong game for me. This time around would be very different because Murcia had to play without some of their strong players. Because Murcia has not payed their players from the past and present, the foreign players have not been playing. Fortunately for us, they did not play this game, and Team Finestrat was victorious in winning the match 3-1 (27-25, 22-25, 25-17, 25-23).

Although, anyone should be thrilled from winning; the joy was sucked out due to the negative incentive placed on this match. I dont need to go into details, becuase that should stay within the club. But I will say this: I love sports. I love the game of volleyball. I love being an athlete, and I dont want that taken away. When negative weight is placed on this feeling, then what is left? What happens when your love of the game is gone because every other day you are worried about being fired or possibly someone on your team being let go. How are we as a team supposed to get better, it everything is a numbers game and your destiny depends on how many points you score as an individual.

These are questions that have been running through my head lately. I am trying to stay positive, because in the end this will make me stronger, right? I just know I have to stay the coarse. This may be the dry, deserted path on my way to an oasis. I just keep telling myself, " God will not put things on me that I cannot handle." In the words of a fellow former Gamecock Carlos Powell, " Got Faith?" I sure do.

Congrats to Dani DaSilva on making the ideal seven for the 12th week. Next game is away versus Oxidoc Palma. Vamos Finestrat!

No comments:

Post a Comment