Friday, May 7, 2010

Top 5 Things I Will Miss About Spain #4

Top 5 Things I Will Miss About Spain

4.) Fanta Limon & Kebab


It seems as though I have picked up a favorite food in every country I have lived in. When I say favorite, I mean obsession. In Germany it was the Apple Juice with gas and the sweets. In Finland, it was the Pear Cidar and Rulla (another form of kebab). In Spain this year, it was defintely the Kebab and Fanta Limon. I was actually introduced to kebab by my friend Shonda Cole when I visited her two years ago in Spain. Since then it has become an obsession. Everytime the girls and I went to visit our American friends in Benidorm, we had to make a stop. And no kebab meal was complete without Fanta Limon.

Nicknamed 1/2 burrito by Nay, Kebab is actually a dish from southwest Asia. Similar to the Greek food the gyro, it is fried meat wrapped in a thick tortilla, shell or pita served with a salad, special sauce and sometimes peppers. If you are like me, you add hot sauce to it. Yum! Traditional Kebab meat is Lamb, but pork, chicken, goat, beef, fish & seafood is also available.

Each time I ordered kebab, it was of the Döner Kebab version. Döner Kebab is this big stick of meat that rotates while being cooked. Then when it is time to serve, the cook just shaves the meat down onto the tortilla and prepares the kebab for dinner. Döner literally means "rotating meat" in Turkish. Upon first inspection, the meat does not look very appetizing, but once its in it shell on your plate and the juices are running, you will start to drool. Kebab is also served in just about anything including pizza or even in a salad.
To go along with a delicious kebab plate, may I suggest a can or "lata" of Fanta Limon. Now this tastes just like any regular lemon carbonated juice, but for some reason I cant get over the electrifying taste it leaves in my mouth. It could also be that this flavor of Fanta is not served in America; so when I came to Spain, I absolutely fell in love with it. At every team party, function or dinner I went to, everyone who knew me knew exactly what drink I would order. May I add that Fanta limon is also great when mixed with wine. :)

















No comments:

Post a Comment