Monday, November 29, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

November 25, 2010- I'd like to start this blog off with another epic conversation had with my mother, God Bless.
"So do they celebrate Thanksgiving over there?" -Mom

"Well I don't think Pilgrims sailed to Switzerland and had a peaceful dinner with their Natives before mass-murdering them, spreading disease and then placing them on reservations." -Me

"Oh!" -Mom

Yes we had that conversation like 4 times, and yes each time was just as equally funny.

Thanksgiving has always been about Moms cooking this really big meal- turkey, dressing with cranberry sauce, greens, homemade rolls that I previously stuck my finger in the doe allowing it not to rise ;) , potato salad, potato pie. Just everything you can imagine. Sometimes I cook tomato pie. But for the last 5 years, I have only been home for maybe 1 or 2 Thanksgiving dinners. Actually last year in Spain, my roommate Lindsay and her boyfriend cooked a scrumptious meal that gave me that 'itis" for days. So this year, I decided I wanted begin cooking my own dinners when I am away from home.

As you can see, it was a delightful, mini meal. Small but still delicious. On the menu was the ever mini chicken, green-bean casserole, dressing with cranberry sauce and two small bottles of wine. I fixed sweet potato fries as a dessert, but it did not turn out too tasty, so we substituted them for a awesome treat from the Bakery. Overall a success.







Not bad at all, but most importantly I am Thankful my loving family that is healthy and not in harms way. I am thankful for the continued opportunity to play a sport I love and on top of that have it as a career right now. So fortunate as my body starts to decline and get worn & torn, it is a blessing to still be able to jump and run and hit the cover off the ball and have support from loved ones. SO Thank you!

But what is Thanksgiving to you? I read about this story of NFL player Chris Henry, who succumbed to injuries last year after falling out the back of a truck. The following story tells about the ultimate gift four different people received after that tragedy. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment