Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Best Christmas Ever: Ive Died & Gone to Paris

December 24, 2010- A day that will go down in the history of my life as one of the greatest days to ever happen... at that point. This was the day I could finally say and brag about going to Paris. This was the day I could finally take that black dry erase marker and draw a line through the words Paris, France on my Top 10 places I must see before I leave this planet. Well the line has been drawn, the city has been seen and conquered. Here's my story.

My journey began early Thursday morning. I spent the whole night mapping out a plan of what to do and ended up staying up later than i expected. So I set like 4 alarms so I wouldn't miss my 8 am train. Paranoid! Thank god I made it up that early.




















The train took about 3 & a half hours with a 40 minute delay; so it wasn't so bad. I suppose I was on the fast train. My only annoyance on this train were the constant people walking the aisle for nothing. I swear this one dude passed me about 37 times. And every time someone passed, they just had to put their hand on every seat, pulling the seat back, and waking me up every time. Ugh! I got up once and did not touch a seat.

Made to the Paris train station, which is one of 4, called the Gare de l'Est or the East station. From there Paris is really easy to navigate; as long are you can read and follow lines. Once on the Metro there are different colored lines that makes stop all through Paris. Again, really easy. The first place I HAD to see was the Musée du Louvre . TO be honest, I was not really familiar with the Louvre until I read the book The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown. Ever since then I have literally been obsessed with one day seeing it and and Mona Lisa. Trust me I was not disappointed.


When I stepped out the Metro and walked across the street. The anticipation was almost too much. I walked through that archway and when I tell you I got emotional; I mean tears started to fall. I was so unreal to me to be there in so much history. The layout alone of the entrance was so awesome. Everything was in the shape of a triangle with the exception of the Louvre Palace that housed the art. The Louvre Palace or Palais du Louvre was actually built as a fortress by Philip II and since then has been extended many times to it actual structure today. When King Louis XIV made the Palace of Versailles his home, many left over remnants were left over. After the French Revolution, it was then decided that the Louvre should be a museum to house the country's works of art.

It was so cold, but that did not take away from this incredible moment for me at all. I had arrived.





To enter the Louvre, you go through the glass triangle centered in the between the Palace and go down. Here, in the central, under the glass triangle is the info area. You can check your coat and bag, buy tickets, eat, shop at an Apple store and even get a cup of coffee at your favorite coffee stop, Starbucks. From there you can pick any hall to visit and view. Of course I ran straight for The Louvre's most popular display, The Mona Lisa.



Because the museum closed early on Christmas Eve, I didn't have much time, and 1 hour & half is not nearly enough time to see this whole place and take in its greatness. But oh did I try. I was racing through that place like a mad woman. In the end I highly recommend visiting the Louvre when you visit Paris.

My next stop would be to hustle across town in order to check in the hostel I had booked at the Square Caulaincourt Hostel. I was a bit conscientious about staying at a hostel. I mean have you seen that movie by the same name? But I researched it very well and it got many good reviews, plus I didn't come to Paris to stay in the Hostel, just to sleep there. Besides it turned out really nice. I stayed in a room with 3 bunk beds and 5 other girls. One of the girls was even from California. The hostel featured a breakfast with a French croissants, marmalade and coffee; as well as internet. We also had a curfew at 2am, but that was never a problem.

That Christmas Eve I spent a quiet night with some American friends Stella Odion & Carol Hamilton. Both of them played in Finland with me a couple of years back. We had a lot of French wine and cheese. It was subtle, but nice. Good to see old faces.


The next day, Christmas Morning i had no plans really, but then I remembered one of my best friends and roommates from college was also visiting Paris. So we decided to meet up at one of the most crowded places ever, the Cathedrale Notre Dame de Paris. Christmas morning mass was going on, but tourist could still come and visit like any other day. They just asked that you do not interrupt the service and those attending mass. It was kind of awkward, because so many people were coming and going and taking photos and talking and lighting candles. I definitely would have been distracted.



So the next quest was to find my dear friend Alexcis and her boyfriend in the middle of literally thousands of people. Tough task huh? Nope not really. As I stood adjacent to the opposite side of the church, I scanned the crowd. It was by God's grace alone that I spotted Marcus, her boyfriend taking photos. I raced through the church with the fastest walk ever, so that I did not miss them. I grabbed her from behind, because I know she likes surprises. No... IT was so good to see them, I felt like crying. We then sat a bit for some of the service that was completely in French and spent about an hour shopping.

After a scrumptious Christmas dinner, courtesy of Lex, we traveled to see France's main attraction. I have wanted to see the Eiffel Tower ever since I knew there was one. I have a cut out picture on my wish board, that I can finally take down. Walking up to the Eiffel Tower was great. It stood there, lit up in all its greatness. Some people do not like the lights on the Tower now, but think they are kind of neat. We decided to walk to the up to the second floor which was about 400 steps or something, but we were all athletes; or so we say. lol On that 2nd level was a ice skating rink, movie theater, restaurant and gift shop. What a great place for a date night. The only annoying thing was the many vendors down there trying to hustle you and get you to buy something. I could have done without all of them.


On the way back we stopped at a little cute dinner called Le Pointe de Seine to warm up. I had the chocolate Crepe with whip cream and Hot Wine, a specialty over her in Europe during the holiday season. So Good.



Such good times with Lexi and Marcus and I really appreciated their hospitality. We parted ways that night on the subway, but I'm sure we will see each other again soon. Great seeing ya Lex!





My last morning in Paris would only last about 4 hours, since my train left at 11 am. But there was one more place I wanted to go and see, and that was the Arc de Triomphe. In 1806, Napolean ordered this Arc be created to honor the Grande Armee, which during that time had conquered most of Europe. After yet another victory, Napolean told the troops, "You will return home through archs of triumph." Pretty neat.




After a quick solo photo session, I hopped on the Metro and headed to the train station to head home. What a wonderful Christmas it was indeed. You know before I came to France, people had warned me that the French did not take to Americans very well. Of course we have some history there. But I actually never encountered anyone even remotely rude until I got on the train to go home. And yes he was a tool. But overall Paris was very lovely and I hope to return very soon.

Au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment