Monday, January 31, 2011

A week of Almost; Could Have, Had it All

Controversy. Disappointment. Frustration. Adversity. All these words could be great descriptions of the feelings going through my head in the past weeks and matches. Here is what I know... Losing sucks. PERIOD! No one wants to be a loser. You want to win. That is the whole reason of playing sports or any game for that matter. Ever heard that saying, " Winning isn't Everything. Its the Only thing." I am a total believer in this. I literally eat fast so I can finish
first. Funny as that sounds, its true. But the other thing you must know is that you cannot win everything. Sometimes you lose, some people more than others. Its the truth.

Again we played Cheseaux and Neuchatel; both for the fifth time this season. Not gonna lie, I am really sick of playing both these teams. Such is life. Not much to say about the Cheseaux match. It was definitely not my best stuff. Some days you just cant connect, and that happen to be the day. All my slides behind the setter were ineffective that day, and whelp that's pretty much all I have to off these days. I mean could it be the outside hitter matched up against me was having a great blocking day. Yeah, it could be, but somehow that is never the case when I am involved. But as a team, we were able to move on and win in four games. Actually I cant really remember anyone who really stood out this game on either side. It was just one of those matches for both team.

The frustration accumulated from that match on Saturday could not last long, because the very next day we had a Swiss cup match against NUC. This would be the forth time we have played them and yes, we are both very sick of seeing each other. But every time we meet it seems to be a pretty interesting match.



After the previous match, I would say I had a lot of caged up anger about a lot of things, but mostly about how I had played the day before. I was just waiting to release it though. And I tell you what; the first set was my anger management coming out party. In that first set, it was like everything I touched was golden. The slide that was so awful the day before, now was great. What a difference a day makes. Actually we jumped ahead of them with a pretty big lead, but like the story of our lives this season, we could not keep it up and lost the first set. Totally deflated our bubble.

After that happened, the match pretty much went the same way it always goes when we play NUC. We play okay enough to steal a set, usually with a score in the high 20's or 30's. But the end of the story always ends with us losing to NUC in 4. Every time. This time was not any different. A late comeback in the 4th was going well, but we couldnt get over deficit we always build. Come to think of it, we probably were leading at some point in this set. BUT.... That was all she wrote. 1-3 NUC!


And... I could not serve one ball in this match. #FAIL


Okay... I wouldnt be me if I didnt talk about the officiating this game and boy was it TERRIBLE. I mean I have played in many games and matches with three different sports. I have seen the worst of the worst, but this night was so bad, it was almost funny. Where do i start? First, the line judges are questionable every night. Its athletics you are gonna get bad calls. The up ref seemed like he had a personal stake in this match. At one point I asked Bryn, the setter from NUC if he was related to one of the girls on her team. It was that bad. He was making up rules that match. He even called a 8 second serving violation on Marina on Game Point. Who calls anything like that on game point. The funny thing is, we went back and watched the video and it was about 7 seconds. Counting 8 seconds is not hard, so he really had to have decided to call that before it happened. Another case... Joanna free balled a ball back over the net, clearly in bounds, and the ref called it outside the antennae. Unbelievable! Like he really had it out for us. I believe in games like this you need to let the teams play. Stop looking to blow your whistle. It was unfair, and I think that also had a lot to do with our demise. In our home gym of all places too. SMH!


So Im pissed we lost. But what pissed me off the most was the party they threw on our court. I mean they have a nice fan club. I would call them a little rowdy, over zealous, and noisy at times, but hey they support their team like no other. But after the game there was birthday celebrations and people singing Happy birthday. There was loudness and they were running all over our court, like it was theirs. It was like we bent over for them to kick our butts and then we gave them permission to throw a festival in our gym. I'm a friendly person and yes we all have friends on the other team, but please take a mental picture of this and keep it handy for when we play them. Im not a cocky person, but I am a proud person. The one thing I wanted my teammates to do was have some pride about this. They came in our gym, the refs screwed us and now they are having a party on OUR court. Pay back needs to be sweet for this.... To be continued!


No comments:

Post a Comment