Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Catching Up.... Duddingen

January 15, 2011- Off to play Duddingen. I remember three things about this match. One, my knees were in tremendous pain. I had tried to take it easy this week so I could have enough juice for the match. The tendonitis in my right knee was not getting time to heal, but with Sandra Stocker joining our team mid season, it was kind of a break. Meanwhile my left leg had all types of problems going on that just had to be controlled with pain meds and constant massages from the therapist. Secondly, the Nuc coaches were there scouting I suppose, which is not uncommon, but we had just seen them like three days before and it was starting to become too much. lol Funnier thing is the next day we would see them again at their match. Third, Duddingen had improved a lot from the last time we had seen them. With some coaching changes and lineup changes, I knew this would be a very difficult but decent match.



This wouldnt be my blog if I didnt tell you we started off to a slow start once again. But not this time. This time we were connecting on all cylinders. We started off with a good block and the outsides were terminating balls. We were really frustrating Duddingen. we secured the first set under our belts 25:19. I am sorry to say that is the last time things were at ease that whole night. Set 2: As the story usually goes, we get down in a set and then mentally simple things like fundamentals go out the window. Passing declines and we are making unforced errors. I give much credit to Duddingen. In the next two sets their defense was very impressive. That is in keeping balls alive and blocking us off the court. Once that happened the passing broke down and we became very predictable. We lost the next two sets 19:25 & 18:25. One key change in game was the change of middle blockers. The Brazilian Opposite Emeli Schaffer was switched to the middle for a quicker and better blocking, which definitely made a huge difference. All of a sudden that seam was not there.

Set 4 was neck and neck. Sm'Aesch ofcourse needed this set to stay in the match. Struggling to stay afloat, our team played very tentatively and scared; not wanting to make mistakes. Basically we were making nervous errors. You know them. The ones that you used to make when you first started playing: Being out of rotation, excessive nets, swinging low. Duddingen had control the whole match and they knew it. But you know me. I love close matches. Its like an adrenaline rush. Especially going back to the service line. The gym sounded like we were playing in a conga drum. I couldnt even hear myself breathe or become tired. Barely pulling off the win, we walked exhausted back to the bench for set 5 (26-24).


Set 5 was such a blur, I dont even remember. The only thing I did remember was the setter going to me alot late down the stretch and their blockers being on me like glue. I hit a very important ball outta bounds to give them match point. And like that we had lost the match. I was horrified, pissed off, made at everything. But that was it. The match was over. I managed to be voted Player of the game along with Renata "Pepe" Schmutz from Duddingen. I walked up to received my flowers with giant tears in my eyes. Speechless with so much to say. But no one would ever listen.


After the game I went over and sat with my American friends on their bench. I was so ticked off at everything that had happened. All the angst and pressure and dirty looks and non trust on our side of the court had really overwhelmed me. It was too much and I seriously had to step away from it. I got much comfort from the American girls, because I feel like they empathized.




Later that night.......



Me and my roommates along with a couple other teammates and girls from Duddingen went out to dinner at McDonalds. So healthy right? Nothing relieves anger like a Big Mac. :) Later we went to Kaylees apartment to chill and hang with her roommates, who by the way are super cool students from the University in Fribourg. They spoke French too. Ofcourse I loved them. They were super chill and hipster like.





We sat down and drank and ate some more before heading out on the town. Fribourg is such a nice town. There are many young people there because of the university. They also have a basketball team. Actually the first time we hung in Fribourg was at Emeli's birthday, we met the basketball team. Cool cats.


Emeli's BDay party December 18, 2010





We went to some of the hot spots around town before heading to Paddy O' Reillys. Most of the night I was downstairs watching the football game with other American exchange students. Green Bay was playing Baltimore. I cant help it. I am a football fan, it doesnt matter what continent I am on.


Overall I was disappointed with the loss and the way we played as a team, but thats how things go and you move on and get better for the next one. Trust when I left that gym, it was the last thing on my mind.





Always good times.....



What i didnt know was that this would be the last match Anouk Verge Depre would play....


More to come.




No comments:

Post a Comment