Monday, November 23, 2009

Tres Puntos! Yeah Buddy!

This past Saturday Team Finestrat defeated Traysesa Santa Cruz 3-1 (23-25, 25-21, 25-20, 25-14) at home. Even though Traysesa stands in the last position in the league, they came to play and we knew we could not blow them off. On top of that, they recently acquired a new player that had been practicing with us. The Cuban Magaly Carvajal had thought about joining our team, but opted for another option. She really strengthed their team, but in the end it was not enough to overcome our attack. Especially that of American Lindsay Stalzer who lead with 22 +17 and 17 kills. Traysesa was led by American and my friend Laurel Abrahamson with 14 +11 and 12 kills.

Ofcourse we started off like we always do. With no intensity. We dropped the first set due to poor attacking, many errors and no defense. Needless to say our coach was very mad and we knew we had to turn it around. The competition after this game was only going to get better. The next three games were pretty much the same. We came out with a little bit more "Umph." Defense was much better as we started blocking more balls and digging more balls. Well everyone except me, since I ended the match no blocks listed in the stats. That match was not my best game as I was only 10 +8. I made pretty simple mistakes and I know I can play better, block better. All that matters is that as a team we came together and put the match away. It might have not been pretty at times but a win is a win.

On another positive note we had three players leading the stats this week again. Katia Rodrigues was ranked #1 in reception (86% 14/16). She also earned a position on the Ideal Seven for this week. I led in service aces ( I know- an usual category for me to do well in, lol) with 3. Lindsay was mentioned in two categories: Atacantes, she was third with 17 kills and Atacantes Totales in which she was third with 22 puntos. Last week Dani Da Silva (reception) , Lindsay and myself (blocking-5) also made the top stats list. This marks the 7th week in a row in which a Finestrat player has lead in stats, was named MVP, or listed in the Ideal Seven. Vamos Finestrat. Lets keep up the good work.

"Its not what the situation is, its what you make of the situation." - Zig Ziglar

Next game is away versus Valeriano Alles Menorca.

















No comments:

Post a Comment