Monday, November 2, 2009

Barn Burner in Haro Rioja



















It was a barn burner last Saturday night in Haro. After being down 2 games, team Finestrat made an incredible comeback to win the match 3-2 (12-25, 26-24, 25-22, 25-23, 15-10). It was one of the most exciting, fun, heart-pumping, incredible games I have ever played in. More inportantly we received 2 huge points to place us in the middle of the pack this week in the standings. Which I believe was far higher than anyone expected.

We started off playing horribly. I was so confused and almost angry. It felt like none of us as ever touched a volleyball. We were making stupid mistakes, not playing smart, and being very timid. I remember thinking, " this match is gonna be over soon, if this continues." What was strange about this game for me was that I was connecting with both setters. Amazing. So as long as they kept setting me, I knew I had to continue to put the ball down. Haro is a very good team, but they can be beaten and I always believed that. Just had to go out and play our game. They have two very athletic and quick middles who can also score. Their setter is smart and sets her hitters into very good situations. Their wing players are also very good and can score in almost every position on the court. Ball control is also descent. They showed how good they were when the score was 16-9. We lost 25-12 and our coached let us have it.

The second game was very close. We were playing a bit better, but we still were not stopping their hitters when we needed to. Towards the end we managed to get a lead and at one point had game point. Because I had a hot hand this match "Colo" decided to go to me in the middle. It was a good set, I was up quick, no block.... I hit it out of bounds just to the left. AAAGGGGHHH! I want that set back so bad, but there was nothing I could do about it. That tied the game back up and they went on to block their way to a victory of game 2.

A bit defeated, my team walked to the other side. Here we had game point and could not put the game away. Our coach let us have it again and then the team just had a total meltdown. People were starting to panic and yell at each other. There were tears. Im thinking this match is far from over, well at least it was for me. Like I said earlier I knew we could beat this team. So heading into the third game we somehow all mentally got extra focused. We came out on fire. Attackers were finding the court. Our blocking system began to work for our defense. Lindsay, the other American, was playing some crazy defense in right back. We came out with the lead and never let it go. My connection with the setters was still golden. Shocked. We won 25-22.

The fourth game would be crucial. Over here in Spain and probably other countries, wins are not weighed the same as normal. If you beat a team 3-0 or 3-1, you receive 3 points. If you beat them 3-2, you receive 2 points and the losing team receives 1 point. So sometimes all you need to do is take a team to 5 games and you can at least steal a point. So this game was important. With the way we started off the match, it would be great for us to even steal a point from Haro. This game was pretty even and went back and fourth. When a setter can connect with their middles, it really opens up the game for your other hitters, and thats exactly what happened. Our "Brasillenas" got some good looks and took advantage of them. We started blocking balls as well. Even with my so focused mind, I managed to goof in a crucial moment in the game. I got a service error because I did not hear the ref blow the whistle in the loud gym and forfeited a point. Want that one back too. After two very controversial plays we were able to take the lead and never looked back. 25-23.

At this point I think we were thankful that we would at least walk out this gym with 1 point. Game 5 was fire for us. We came out and grabbed a 5-0 lead quickly and that pretty much was the ball game. Crucial blocks also helped and before I knew it we were looking at game point. I couldnt believe it as I glanced at the scoreboard. When Katia's kill hit the floor we all celebrated by hoping in a circle in the middle of the court. Wow, what a win! It was so much fun to play in. This is the reason why I love playing sports; why I love being an athlete; why I love competing. Its moments like these when you realize that that superhard practice you had the week before actually paid off today, and everything comes full circle.

I want to be this focused for every match. It felt good to believe in myself and my team even when we didn't believe in ourselves. I want to keep that intensity for as long as I am an athlete because the results feel so good. "Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible." - Frank L Gaines

On another note- >>> Congratulations to Dani De Silva for being named MVP of the Week!

No comments:

Post a Comment