Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Back In Playoff Contention

This past Saturday, Team Finestrat traveled once again to the Spanish island to battle it out in the Spanish Supaliga. This time we found ourselves on the beautiful island of Tenerife facing off against Traysesa Santa Cruz. I am thrilled to say we came away victorious over Traysesa 3-1 (25-11, 21-25, 25-23, 25-17). With this win we bounced back up to fifth place in the standings, and in good playoff position. This match was also the first for our new player Naomi Washington, and she sure made a mark with 15 +14 on 11 kills and 3 blocks. Leading all Team Finestrat was Dani DaSilva once again with 22 +16 on 17 kills and 3 blocks.
This teams roster had changed a bit since last time. For one, my friend Laurel Abrahamson, a middle from Minnesota, is back home rehabing a torn acl. (I wish her the best of luck). Team Traysesa also added outside hitter Luren Baylon from Peru. She is a good outside hitter, who is able to use hands really well. Lets not forget, she is a pretty big block out there. She stuffed me twice. OUCH! For the record this was not a good attacking game for me at all, but we all have our days. I just hope to keep them at a minimum. Baylon led all scorers with 25+17 on 21 kills. We cannot forget their big gun, Magaly Carvajal. Remember, she almost signed here in Finestrat, but opted against it because of the gym floor. Magaly scored 25 +16 on 22 kills. One thing I realized about Magaly is that she sees the court really well. Its not all about power with her. People say she is slow and big, but she can score and block. Pretty well-rounded player if you ask me.
Also congrats to Dani DaSilva on making the Ideal Seven team this week. Keep it up!
This next week we are back home in Benidorm vs. Menorca. A team that basically crushed us the first time. Remember the match where our Brasileras were shut out and I couldnt serve a ball in play to save me life. Focus will be the key this week because as of right now I am battling a nasty infection in my throat that has moved to my sinus cavity. Goody! All that does not matter because when it is game time, its time to go. A sore throat has no connection with my legs and my arm.
"You don't drown by falling into water. You drown by staying there." - Zig Ziglar

No comments:

Post a Comment