Monday, February 22, 2010

Nail Bitter at Home




Last weekend Team Finestrat faced off against Valeriano Alles Menorca Volei, the number 3 team in the league. We were defeated 2-3 (25-20; 11-25; 25-20; 17-25; 14-16). But know that we did not go out without a fight. It was a nail bitter until the very end. One of the closest matches I have been in this season. Both teams have been suffering from illness and injury coming into this match. I have been sick since we played Traysesa the week before; with some sort of viral infection in my throat. I had been good for a couple of days and then a little sick the next two. Just not getting over it.


Like I mentioned before, everytime we play Menorca its always an emotional match. Some of their players played in Finestrat last season, and also Lindsay from our squad played in Menorca last season. So it seems like blood is always shed and feelings are hurt. But its always good afterwards. Well for some of us. We all know how much I like to hold a grudge. Anyways, I was somewhat not positive about this match for some reason. Oh wait I do know: We go crushed the first time and I also couldnt serve a ball into play. The way we have been training lately, it didnt seem like we were preparing to battle this team. So I will admit I didnt see it going as well as it did.


We took the first game in a pretty good fashion. I never really could get going at any point this night, but I needed to do enough so that my team could stay in the match. When the middle cannot connect with their setter, its a true travesty. Really! The second match we started off slow. Which is usually the case with us, especially when we win the first set. We come out with no sense of urgency, like we dont want to win a match in three sets and we would rather stretch it out as much as possible. After taking the third set and being up 2-1, I was like ok lets take this one and end this match now! Nope ofcourse not! Behind players like Janine Sandell, Milagros Moy and middle Daniela Patino, Menorca was able to push a decisive game 5.



Both teams battled tooth and nail for this game. At times it wasnt pretty and sometimes it paid to be in the right spot at the right time. Ofcourse we setting a ball out of bounds on the change over point was not helpful for us. In the end their outside hitter took over and won the game. Final score 14-16. There were a lot of dirty looks, stare downs, inappropriate yells to the face, accusations and people getting hit in their face with balls. In the end we shook hands and chatted after the match. Good competition. My team and club was very please that we were able to steal a point from the #3 team, but I was disappointed. We clearly had an opportunity to take the match in 4 and get 3 points. I was always a fan of the quote, "Never settle for less then your best."


Leading all players was Janine Sandell with 21 points +15 on 18 kills. Dani DaSilva led Finestrat with 18 points +2 on 16 kills. On another note... thanks statistician for once again stiffing our team on blocks.


"Excellence is not a skill. Its an attitude." - Ralph Marston
Next game is away versus the #2 Universidad de Burgos. Vamos Finestrat!




No comments:

Post a Comment