Sunday, May 27, 2012

Tomatillo Salsa... You know you want some

My first food blog... Yayyy!  I always brag about being a fat kid on the inside. Nope Im not taking a hit at overweight people.  But when you have been straightt up and down just about your whole life, all you can do it continued to work out and thank sweet baby Jesus for a high metabolism.  Well one of my favorite foods to metabolize is Tomatillo salsa. I was first introduced to this particular salsa by a pretty famous chain down in South Carolina called... Moes.


Ever since then my obsession with this green, often slimy sauce has been unbearable. I would go to Moes and order 1 little taco and load up on Tomatillo sauce. When I ran out of chips, I drank it. :o  So I decided to look it up and create my own receipe.

Here's what ya need:
1/2 - 1 lbs (12)  of Tomatillos- Don't be scared they come in a little shell
1/2 onion
1/4 cup of jalepenos, pickled
cilantro
1 lime
 Salt

1.I first take the tomatillos and remove their covering. Wash them off and slice them in quarters. Place them on a cookie sheet and bake them for about 8-10 minutes. I heat it at about 345 degrees

2. While the tomatillos are cooking, cut up your onion, and prepare the rest of the ingredients.  Since it goes into the blender next, there is really no need to cut up the jalapeno or cilantro.  That is unless you use fresh jalapeno which is an alternative.  *I really like the sour taste of pickled jalapenos.

3. Take the tomatillos out the oven and place in the blender.  Then layer the chopped up onion, jalapeno and cilantro.  *I sometimes add some of the jalapeno juice from the jar and or vinegar. You can also add minced garlic as well

4. Once in blender squeeze half a lime on top and sprinkle salt to your liking.  Puree or blend until you have the consistency you desire. *It will seem a bit thin and sometimes slimy, but it will thicken up.
5. Refrigerate until cold and serve. 

Ive tweeked the recipe to my liking.  Ive actually stopped measuring actually.  When it tastes right. Its right.

Goes great with chips. Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment