Thursday, September 1, 2011

We Couldnt Hit the Floor With the Ball.... Literally

September 1, 2011- Ever heard the saying in sports... "the ball just wouldn't go in." or the "ball just wouldn't drop." Sometimes you might say, "we couldn't hit the floor with the ball." All those sayings are implying that the player did all they could and it was the ball that would not co-operate. Well that was not the case on this night. The ball had nothing to do with our complete breakdown on this night.

It was another over-hyped night at the San Juan Flying Arena. WE just witnessed a pretty impressive match before ours where Ateneo defeated the Navy team. Coming into this match, in all honesty, I was exhausted; both mentally and physically. Something in the air just told me that this would not be a night of celebration of Team SSC.

Let me preface this. We had just come off not one, but two thrilling 5-set matches that were played to the max. In both of those matches, I was nursing some ailment wrong with my body. And I believe everyone else was tired as well. Our libero Jen was still day to day with her knee injury. So on paper were might have looked like a strong team, but walking onto that court, know it was not the case. I was not 100% at all and my body knew it. My knee was locking up. I couldn't jump with ease. I was in pain. But what could I do. I had to play right?

You ever just get that feeling that tells you that something is about to go wrong. That the mess is about to hit the fan. Yeah that was exactly how I was feeling right before this match. I had this same feeling the fist time we played the Army, and here it was again manifesting itself. Not fear, just uncertainty. But athletes go through that. no excuses. Suck it up. I stepped onto the court and just completely could not help anything. I mean really, I kept saying to myself, I dunno if I can help us tonight.



The first set was tight, but fortunately for us, we had the edge. Great plays from Jeng, Jhoy , Rubie and some huge blocks and touches from Jill, kept us up and in the match. Honestly I don't remember contributing at all the first set. The Army team was on me like white on rice, yet I kept getting set. Soooo again what can you do but battle. I'm gonna get blocked. I'm gonna hit the ball out. I'm gonna fall. I am not perfect. I don't think people really understand that. The Army has just as good if not better players as I. This whole league does. The only thing I can control is getting back up, dusting myself off and going on to the next point. That's probably the most frustrating thing to me. So its great that the team carried me that first set.

Now the next sets, I really cannot express without being so angry. Because we totally lost focus with everything. As Jen left the match with knee pain, so did our reception and defense. It was a huge blow to us. I love having Jenny back there, because she is such a leader. She directs traffic back there. I can hear her talking to everyone, to me and it makes me feel secure somehow. So when she is out, it leaves a big role vacant, not only physically, but verbally.

The Army had our number this night. They clearly had constructed a game plan to minimize our big hitters. One way to do that for sure is to serve tough. One can serve players out of a match. We allowed that to happen. With poor reception, our options were very limited. Pretty much all we had were free balls and high balls to the open position against a very well placed double block. Not much a team can do with that.

Defense was also missing. I remember hitting some pretty hard balls, like really nice balls. And the Army dug it and got it back over. I remember doing that many times and its like well that's good defense. Its gonna happen. They are a good team. What was unacceptable to me was free balls or chance balls or balls that are deemed easy, hitting the floor without anyone going for them. That made my blood boil. Its the little things... that come up big. You create your own luck, right. I figure the Army could sacrifice their body to keep a ball from hitting the floor, why couldn't we? They put themselves in positions to be lucky even if they were out of position. The ball was up off the floor. PERIOD.

Under pressure, we all started making horrible unforced errors that would doom us for sure. We had a slight comeback in the 4th set, but could not hold on to the lead and the Army took advantage and sealed our fate. All I can say is that we beat ourselves tonight and it was very disappointing. I can say that Jhoy Benito really played well on the outside. At times she was the only person from our side that could find the open court.

Leaving the court that day, I can say I was more disappointed than mad. I felt like I had let my team down. I felt like I couldn't help us win. I felt like I couldn't help us get better. I know no one person can lose a game, but on that night I felt helpless. We for sure as a team lost that match. The bottom-line is we fell apart and did not play as a team. The Army team picked us apart and we let it happen. Loss of focus and uncertainty were the keys to our demise. I think it was a big lesson for us. Hopefully we can learn from it and move on. One thing is for sure. The road that championship goes through this Army team. Have to adjust.

"Ive missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed. " - Michael Jordan




1 comment:

  1. i knew u did ur best go ssc-r and miss ford 5..we love yah!!

    ReplyDelete