Friday, August 19, 2011

Coming Out Party!

August 9, 2011- Match #4 and finally Team SSC finally realized the potential we held in our own hands. I think we also showed the rest of the league what we are capable of once we came together as a team and started playing like one. Facing off against the Lady Eagles of Ateneo, I knew this game could go two ways. Ateneo killed us in 3, or we had to fight like heck and compete. I guess there is really no other choice in any match. You win or you lose. This match has significance for a couple of reasons. One being they were a top team in the league so far. They probably have the best chemistry out of all the teams in the league and you could tell. Secondly, we share the same head coach. Yeap that's right. Coach Roger coaches us, the Lady Stags and Ateneo. At one point of the match, I caught a glimpse of him giving them instruction. I was like, "HEY!"

Well of course what type of demented world would I be in if I were ever on a team that decided to start a game on top. NOPE. Somehow I am always on a team that likes to make it interesting. Cant make it too easy right? Well this time was not any different. Ateneo jumped out to a 1-0 set lead. Even though the score was only 26-24, they outplayed us, but our unforced errors did not help things either. Its hard when you are standing outside your body looking and wondering like everyone else, why is this team not playing to their potential. Ever have that feeling? But much credit to the Lady Eagles. They did exactly what I knew they would. They have two really exceptional outside hitters that can get up and attack the ball really hard. Two decent middles and libero. Their opposite, Valdez is also a big presence on the floor. She can score very well as well and she has a big block. She also carries a very heavy, very good top spin jump serve in her arsenal. Of course it would not be easy.



Highly upset with how things had gone the first set, I went into angry Lauren mode. That either goes 2 ways as well. I get so angry that I play better or I get into my own head and over play.
Thank goodness it was not the latter and with that, my hitting just kind of exploded. I felt like every set was so beautiful, and I wanted to smash the you know what out of it. Maybe I was in Flow? Whatever it was, sets 2-4 looked like a completely different team. A team I like way better. We were passing better, serving better, playing defense better. Everyone stepped up.


Well don't call it a comeback, but we took the match 3-1. We actually made it look easy. The last set started off 8-0. The set only lasted about 17 minutes and in the end we held Ateneo to only 10 points. Now the question is... Why cant we come out and do this all the time? Kind of like figuring out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll...... The world may never know. But I do know it feels good.







At the end of the match I was named the Shakey's player of the game. But non of this is possible without the other 6 girls I play with. Quite frankly Jeng Baulee & Jhoy Benito deserve some recognition this game as well. They played really well. Jeng put down 22 kills and 11 digs, while Jhoy had some key kills and served exceptionally well with 5 aces.



On another note. This was my first live interview. I hope I was not mumbling. I have always dreamed of doing this, but when it was actually happening its unreal. Apparently I was the tallest woman this reporter had ever interviewed. :) She was real cool too.








Bravo Baste!

Photos are from the Pinoy Spikers.


No comments:

Post a Comment