Friday, August 26, 2011

Navy Match. 5 sets. Lets just Leave it at That!


August 25, 2011- The Navy Rematch... AKA The Match of Redemption... AKA THE Grundge Match.... AKA Were playing the team that defeated us and I was too upset to put my emotions into words. DUN DUN DUN!!!!! Okay whatever. Nothing should ever be that hyped up, especially not athletics. But this match was very important to me simply because this Navy squad was the only team to defeat us in the first round. It was a match where I felt we did not fight back at all, and the one thing about losing is going down without a fight. Thats inexcusable!

So heading into this rematch they had the upper hand mentally in knowing they already had defeated us and knew how. But like I always say. Its hard to beat a team twice. Ofcourse its possible, but difficult.



Playing the Navy is.... well Ill use the word intersting. They are tough as nails, they compete hard, and they fight. Hard to not respect that. Although there seems to always be "friendly" gestures through the net, and by "friendly" I am being sarcastic for lack of a positive word to put there. Buts it okay.... all is fair in love and war... I mean volleyball right? Anyways the goal would be to contain their big hitters Bautista ad Roces. I say contain because they are good players and to say stop them would be stupid. They are gonna find ways to score. Thats what makes a good athlete. Also we would have to hit through the wall of "Mic Mic" Laborte. Very athletic laterally and a strong blocker.


We started the match off slow and lathargic. I dunno really whats the deal with that. Its like we need a set to warm up, which is not a good thing at all. Im from the school of jump on them right away and keep um down. Not a fan of keeping things interesting. :) But it was what it was. We had Jen back which was great for us. She really is a leader back there as the libero. She works really hard and you know how I feel about liberos that risk their lives to keep the ball off the floor. BUT.... Unfortunately, Jen would leave us the first set due to reinjury of her knee. Although we made a nice comeback, it was not enough as the Navy took the first set.


At the start of the 2nd set, we came out on the attack playing pretty well. Up by almost 8 points things were looking a bit better this match. Our other libero Mae Crisotomo had come in the match and filled in for Jen better than we could have hope. That is why every single person on a roster is important. We all have our roles to play... That would not be more true than with this match. Just half way through another injury would take another player victim as Laborte from the Navy went down with a severe ankle sprain. In all honesty you hate to see a player go down with an injury, but you also use it as an opportunity. Both #17's were out. A big blow to both teams.





Set 3 The Lady Stags attacked once again off the bat. For me it was important to not let up and get complacent. I kept saying to myself, " Remember were playing a tough squad.." And thats what motivated me. In my opinion on gap in scoring, no matter how large is big enough to relax. People always ask me why I m not smiling in games. Its not because Im not having fun. Its because I am focused. Its about business! Defeating the the Navy to go up 2-1 sets is huge. Now the kicker would be to finish. Again, another very important part of games. What fun would it be if we had closed out the match in the next set? Of course we didnt.




The Stags leading in the 4th set and up 2 sets got lazy. We let balls drop. We eased off. Simply because we were up. We relaxed on a team struggling to get a descent lineup in the match to compete. We relaxed on a team with two of the top players in the league. We relaxed on an experience squad that came back and defeated us after being down by more than 6 points and their backs against the walls. That right there my friends is why I dont like to smile. Its why I dont want to relax. Finishing this match in 4 meant rest for my ailning body, which at that point was aching from the constant jumping on my knees. Much credit to the Navy, they fought hard with everyone on their team. They had very key blocks and kills and completely shut us down towards the end of that match. One to Set 5.... Again! :(





In what I will describle as being probably in the top 5 maddest moments in my life. I went to the bench. Angry at myself. Angry at me team. Angry at my body. Angry at everything. This was not alright to me. And Im sure the crowd was enjoying such a nail-biting match, which was cool. But inexcusable. I have no words as to why we let them back in the match. This just turned from being a definite win for the Stags to a we can possibly walk outta her with the L. And at that point steam would have been pouring out my ears.




Oh well.... I couldnt go back and undo what was already done. Just move forward. Had to focus on these next 15 points. Each one was crucial. Starting the 5th set, we were once again lounging like we didnt want to win. Balls were dropping. Block was not solid and it look as if we were done. But just like the SSC team i love, we fought back. Crazy defense from Jhoy, Shobe and Rubee, we fought to stay in it and successfully defeated the Navy 15-9. Talk aboug wipping off my forehead.



Afterwards they awarded me as player of the game, and I was shocked to learn of the stats from this game. 26 kills from myself, 21 from jeng and 25 from Narissa Bautista. The Navy finished with 66 digs while we were a little short with 63. What a freakin match. It felt like it as I was so exhausted leaving the floor... As it should be. Days like this you should feel like you left it all on the floor. Great job ladies. It wasnt pretty, but it was good.










No comments:

Post a Comment