Friday, August 19, 2011

Were Playing Maylinad. Hope we have water Tomorrow!

August 11, 2011- With only two matches remaining in the first elimination round, SSC stood atop the team standings and stacked many of the individual stats as well. We were 3-1 and was amongst the league leaders in serving and scoring. As for receiving and blocking... Well lets just say we have a lot of room for improvement. Our next test came against the Water Dragons of Maylinad. Not a huge team, but solid defense, good setter, the league leader in blocks and a feisty outside hitter. Coming off of a huge win against Ateneo, our goal was to maintain our ranking while of course improving on the little kinks.



Well the good news is we won in straight sets (25-10, 25-14, 25-14). To me it was a very sloppy match. I don't know if the teams were just tired from previous matches, or if maybe my side underestimated the Water Dragons or what? The score does not reflect the match. I thought there were some good rallies and hard volleyball played, but at times the focus was off. I personally felt this was not one of my best matches. But I can say my blocking improved. In the previous matches, I had not blocked well, so I was content that I was able to improve there. Being a middle is hard. Attacking wise, you have to depend on a good pass and a good set. Sometimes they are there and sometimes they are not. We passed pretty well that night, but I just couldn't connect. It happens. Its part of it.

Of course there were standout performances on our side. Jeng hit the leather off the ball like always. Okay, the leather is still on the ball, but there are definitely dents on the arena floor. I swear I think that girl has a shoulder of gold. I cant even imagine being on the other end of that. :) Jhoy also played really well. Her serving lately has been terrific and it takes the pressure off of the defense, which is good. She also has been playing some great defense back there in middle back. She was named player of the game. Lets not forget about MJ & Jill. Their reception has been really good. Hey, I cant do what I do without them. MJ is actually leading the league in reception. NICE!





Hopefully well have some rest before out next and final match of the of this first round against the *DUM DUM DUM* Army! It always feels good to get a win under your belt, no matter how you got it. So we are happy to be 4-1 now. The team joked that we may not have water the next day if we defeated the Water Dragons. After some recent events, that actually might be a true story.





Photos are courtesy of Mr. Arnold Cruz, Mr. Cesar Bailen Jr. and Pinoy Spikers

No comments:

Post a Comment